The American software company ‘Symantec’ has developed a disk cloning and backup tool by the name of Norton Ghost. People use it to create back-ups for their entire hard-drive so that it could be recovered anytime. It comes into a great use in the case of moving your data into a new system or a hardware failure.
Features of Norton Ghost
Norton Ghost ensures fast, efficient, and the most secure backups. Some of the most highlighted features of Norton Ghost are:
- You can back up large amounts of data to High Capacity. You can store up to 50GB per disc.
- Rather than saving the entire drive, Norton Ghost gives you an option to choose the files and folders that you want it to backup.
- It offsite backup feature copies recovery point to a FTP site for easier offsite backup management.
- It automatically compresses files to allow us to store more files in less space.
- In one view, you can see all scheduled backups and the degree of backup protection for your each computer drive.
- Norton Ghost comes with the feature of advanced encryption which helps to keep your files safe from any kind of threats.
- You can back up your file to almost any media, including Blue-Ray disc, DVD+R/RW drives, network drives, lomega Zip and Jaz drives, etc.
Read Also >> Top 5 Features of Norton Antivirus
Installation of Norton Ghost
While the process of installing Norton Ghost is very simple, people do complain that while doing it on Windows 7, it shows up some error. Let’s understand how we can install Norton Ghost on Windows 7.
- Find the link from the Google to download “Windows ADK” first. It is the only required version to support the Ghost solution.
- Now you can run adksetup.exe file and select a location to install.
- You can either opt in or out of the windows program. Now accept the Windows agreement on the next screen.
- The software would ask you the features that you would want to install. You can check the boxes according to the features that fit your needs.
- Only when Windows ADK has finished installing, go ahead and install Norton Ghost.
- Use your account dashboard at My.Symantec.com and download Ghost solution suite and Ghost solution file HF5.exe files.
- You can run the application of Ghost solution and select “Extract and Execute App”.
- After this, the setup.exe file will run automatically. You will come across four options to install Ghost. You can select whichever you like out of Simple install (which places all the Ghost solution server components – Ghost Solution Suite Server, , Ghost Solution Suite Share, Ghost Solution Suite Console and Ghost Solution Suite Database – on the same computer), Custom install (lets you distribute all the server components on different computers), Thin client install (it lets you install the thin client view of the Ghost solution suite console on your computer), or Component Install (it lets you add selected Ghost Solution Suite Server Components).
- You can select the location for the software to be installed. You would be required to go for the username and password selection which is critical to software to run it successfully.
- You can then install SQL server and restart the Ghost setup.
- You can continue on with the installation process.
- It might take a while but the installation would complete and you can select “finish” once the process has completed.
Uninstall Norton Ghost
- Go to programs and features and type there, “uninstall a program.” You will get the option and you can click on it.
- Look for Norton Ghost in the list. Click on it and then click uninstall to initiate the uninstallation.
- The uninstallation will be done in a few minutes.
Have you ever used Norton Ghost? Share its experience.